Do you know what Benthik or Gatrik is?
If we hear the word benthik or gatrik, I’m sure that some of the people feel strange hearing the word above. Benthik has another name. They are gatrik, tak kadal and patil lele. Really funny, right?
Some years ago this game was very popular among children but after the gadget era, this game began to be forgotten. To play this game, the players use wood stick or bamboo stick
The History of Benthik
Many people said that the most beautiful period is when they are children. The children world are full of funs. They played with their friends, cheerful and they are free to express what they feel. Without intrigue, honest and smooth without pretend. All of them cannot be repeated. We can only remember it.
Based on the transcript of Tembi Rumah Budaya or known as Lembaga Studi Jawa the word benthik is on the Java Dictionary written by W.J.S Poerwadarminta on 1939 at Weltevreden Batavia (Jakarta). From that dictionary stated that the meaning of benthik is a game. It shows that benthik is a popular game and have existed for a long time before especially in everyday life the Javanese people.
So, what does it call benthik? There is no record who was the first time said it. Reputedly, the word benthik has meaning bump. The sound “thik” is produced of bumping the equipment games. Those are trunk mains (batang induk) and anakan. The trunk made from wood or bamboo. Because of the bumping’s sound, that is why this game called benthik.
How to make benthik?
To make the stick is not broken when we use to play benthik, use the wood that has hard and strong ones. For examples guava tree’s wood, mango tree, longan tree, and myrtle tree. Cut the trunk to be two parts with the different length. 30 cm and 10 cm. Pleed tree bark carefully using a knife to make the surface smooth.
After we know how to make benthik now let’s we observe about preparation and how to play it.
Preparation and How to Play Benthik
Let’s learn below first, those are the preparation and how to play benthik:
- Make something like a hole. The hole called luwokan. The length is as long as with anakan trunk. It is 10 cm, width 3 cm and the depth is 5 cm.
- After that, each players must doing vote to decide who plays in the first time. We call doing vote with hompimpa. Who win hompimpa he gets the first turn. While, the others who loses must to be guard.
- The player sets the short stick above the luwokan athwart. Use the long stick to push strongly the short stick so it can bounce as far as possible. In Javanese it called nyuthat.
- If the others that as guards can catch the bounce stick so they get point. They will try hard to catch the short stick to get the point before they have turn to play. Ten points if catch with two hands, twenty five points to catch with the right hand and fifty points if catch with left hand.
- The next step, the player must put the long stick above lowakan with the same position with the short stick. The opponent must throw the short stick to the long stick. If the short stick touch the long stick so the position is turned. The opponent to be player and the player to be opponent.
Moral Value in Benthik
Benthik is not only make us fun but also there is a philosophy for our life. For example hompimpa alaium gambreng (the vote to get the first turn to play benthik). It means that “We are from God and we will go back to God, let’s we play”. It is a reminder for us that human belongs to God.
The rules in playing benthik must be obeyed with all players. It taught us to obey the regulation and also to keep the social relations harmony.
Every players usually want to be winner. But if to be a winner they must play the game honest, work hard and sportive. There is a winner and there is a lost one. Every players must recognize the game result. The losers must be sincere accept the result and the winner don’t be arrogant.
Call / Message / WhatsApp :
+62 - 085 - 7438 - 14600
Email : email@example.com