Tranquility of ANIEM Monument of Magelang City

Tranquility of ANIEM Monument of Magelang City

Monument is a large and tall building and is usually built to remember important events or historic events in an area. Each region must have an important event or historical event and to commemorate the event they will be built a monument. For example, Tugu Jogja which was built as a symbol of unity between the people and the ruler to oppose colonialism and Monas Monument built in 1961 to commemorate the resistance and struggle of the people of Indonesia in seizing independence from the Dutch East Indies Colonial Government.

Similarly with the city of Magelang. The small town that is located on the cross between Jogjakarta and Semarang also has a monument of pride which is not as phenomenal as the National Monument in Jakarta or Tugu Jogjakarta.

Perhaps this is due to the lack of understanding of society against the historical side of the monument that stands by itself near the town square of Magelang. It is possible that the people of Magelang Municipality did not understand the monument if it was standing in front of Klentheng.

History of Electricity Entering the City of Magelang


Before the entry of electricity in Magelang or before 1924, narrated the lights of city residents only using “teplok” as the lamps. Whether rich or poor, the house was bamboo or stone walled, the smell of oil as a fuel lamp must have smelled from their homes. The street was pitch black because street lighting was not available yet. At night, only the lights of the merchant bicycles alone occasionally illuminate. The condition began to improve after 1927.

It was said that the cities under the auspices of ANIEM got street lighting facilities from this company. Could be imagined in the colonial era for the first time, oil and gas lamps began to be replaced with bright light bulb light mercury light. How beautiful night in Magelang town at that time.

The first power company to take care of the needs of residents in the Indies was Nederlandsche Indische Electriciteit Maatschappij (NIEM). NIEM was actually a subsidiary under NV Handelsvennootschap (formerly known as Maintz & co.) Based in Amsterdam, Netherlands. NIEM operates in 1897 and was headquartered in Gambir, Batavia.

On April 26, 1909, the Dutch East Indies Gas Company succeeded in establishing another subsidiary named Algemeene Nederlandsche Indische Electriciteit Maatschappij or (ANIEM). ANIEM succeeded in transforming from a mere subsidiary into a giant power company with 40% of the total power supply in the Netherlands East Indies. The peak of ANIEM's expansion acceleration occurred in 1937 when all the electricity management in Central Java, East Java and Kalimantan Island was handed over to ANIEM.


The liberalization of the emerging economy in the Dutch East Indies since the end of Java Oorlog (Java War), brought many foreign investors to try their luck in the city of Magelang. In addition to the issuance of the Basic Agrarian Law in 1870, many private companies invested in various fields such as plantations, trade, hotels, and even electricity.

NV ANIEM, one of the branches of the Dutch private power company from ANIEM's parent company in Surabaya, opened its first power grid in Magelang in 1924. The ANIEM NV office in Magelang was formerly located in Bayemanweg or now the Pentecostal Church on Jl. Tentara Pelajar.

NV ANIEM or commonly called ANIEM utilizing Tuntang hydroelectric water Jelok located east of Ambarawa as the main source of electricity supply. Hydroelectric power in Tuntang serves credentials of Semarang, Magelang, Salatiga, Ambarawa, Boyolali, and surrounding areas.

The voltage was then distributed through a high voltage line transmission network (SUTET) which ended in the Kebonpolo substation (PLN offices of customer service and electrical disturbance in the southern Budi Rahayu Hospital).

The Journey of Tugu ANIEM at Magelang City


In the southeast of the Town Square of Magelang, there is a monument that probably only a few of the people of Magelang City who know the history behind the establishment of the monument. By the people of Magelang, this monument is usually called the Monument Zero Kilometer or Monument Clock. Called Zero Kilometer Monument because next to this monument there is a zero kilometer peg. And called “ Tugu Jam “ because it used to be on the top of this monument mounted on all four sides.

There are inscriptions of natural stone as a guide distance of the City of Magelang with a number of other cities, namely Yogyakarta 42 km (south direction), Semarang 75 km (north), and Sapuran (Wonosobo) 37 km (west). Located in front of Liong Hok Bio Temple and Post Office of Magelang City

Actually the name of this monument is Tugu ANIEM. This monument was built in 1924 as a sign of the entry of electricity in Magelang as inscribed in the monument that read "MAART 1924 ELECTRIFICATIE MAGELANG."

As a pioneer of the entry of electricity in Kedu, the role of this company certainly can not be underestimated. It is the entrance to the progress of the development of Magelang Township. And the company was named Algemeene Nederlandsche Indische Electriciteit Maatschappij or abbreviated as ANIEM

It was said that the managers of NV ANIEM decided to make a memorial at the entrance of the temple after they read the book Fengshui China. As was known, ethnic Chinese people strongly believe in things such as the location layout of luck and fortune in their lives. Therefore, ANIEM monument was built in the location aims to close the door fortune of ethnic Chinese people who began to grow in Chinatown.


ANIEM monument is also known as the monument Zero Kilometer Magelang because of its location in front of Post Office of Magelang City. Zero Point Kilometer is usually located in front of the post office within the city. We can see Zero Point in Yogyakarta or Semarang where both Zero Point is located around the post office of each city. The purpose of determining the zero point that is always in front of the post office is to facilitate the calculation of the distance of the delivery of goods from the city of origin to the destination city.

Before independence, Tugu ANIEM has 4 pieces of iron arch that ends there are lamp bulb as illumination. Changes in the shape of ANIEM monument began to occur in about 70s.

The curved parts and bulb lamps were replaced with fluorescent lights. More significant changes occurred in the 1980s - 90s where the top of the monument was converted into a manual clock house on four sides.